Join us on December 3rd, 2023 for Christmas on Green Street!
Join the City of Gainesville on the first Sunday in December for our annual Christmas on Green Street celebration! This magical event includes a parade of antique cars, holiday floats, marching bands, and community groups starting at the Gainesville Civic Center and continuing all the way down Green Street!
Before the parade, Green Street will be closed while people visit the historic homes and enjoy musical groups performing on front porches, strolling magicians, face painters, balloon artists, storyteller, jugglers, Santa Claus, miniature train rides, and food trucks. The night will end with the Christmas on Green Street Parade and the traditional Lighting of the Rotary Tree at approximately 6:30 p.m. at the intersection of Green Street and West Academy Street!
New Schedule for 2023!
We are moving activities BEFORE the parade, and tightening up requirements for floats and parade entries to ensure they are all festive and safe!
Tentative Event Timeline:
- 1pm: Street closures
- 2pm: Floats / Cars begin lining up for parade.
- 2-6pm: Food Trucks Open / Christmas at the Civic Center.
- 2:30-4:30pm: Activities and Performances at the Historic Homes on Green Street.
- 4:30pm: Walking Groups Stage at Civic Center, Floats / Cars get ready, Roads clear of pedestrians
- 5pm: Christmas Parade Begins, immediately followed by Rotary Tree Lighting to end the event.
- 7pm: Roads re-open
To be honest: It’s tricky! While there are a few parking lots and decks nearby with handicap accessible parking, all of them still require walking a block or two to get to the parade route. There are a lot of side street parking options along the route, and people typically flock in from everywhere! With an anticipated 10,000 people in attendance and road closures starting at 2pm, we suggest planning ahead, arriving early, and dressing warm!
Here are a few parking areas to consider:
- City Park: Glenwood Drive NE
- North Parking Deck: 100 Brenau Ave NE
- Hall County Parking Facility: 225 Green Street SE
- Main Street Parking Deck: 301 Main Street SW
Note that First Baptist Church and the Civic Center are Staging Zones for the Parade!
This event is presented by Main Street Gainesville, a program focusing on economic vitality through Historic Preservation in our downtown commercial districts.
Want to Join the Parade?
There are new rules and regulations for parade entries this year, so watch this video for a snapshot of what you need to know!