Parker Jackson House
Patrick Newton Parker, originally of Homer, Georgia moved to Gainesville in approximately 1890 according to Mrs. Elizabeth Parker in a survey conducted in 1974. He was married to Clara Saranel Abbot of Duluth, Georgia. He served as the Mayor of Gainesville in 1903 and as Chairman on the First United Methodist Church building committee in 1906.
Mr. Parker built this Neoclassical Revival Georgia Type home in 1909. The home includes a verandah that wraps around the home and is partially enclosed on the south end of the porch and a centered balcony that tops the first story porch. A portico was added in 1914 that included fluted Ionic columns to match the verandah and gable pediment with dentil detail.
The Parker’s sold the home to Mr. Felix Jackson in 1914. Mr. Jackson, originally from Fairmount, Georgia moved back to Georgia from Texas for his wife’s health and to educate his son at Riverside Preparatory Academy. Mr. Jackson is known for building the first “skyscraper” in Gainesville, The Jackson Building, which still remains in our downtown square. After Mrs. Parker’s death, Mr. Parker sold the home to his son Walton and moved to Philadelphia, PA. His son and daughter-in-law resided in the home until it was sold to Jim Walters in 2002. The home became the main office for Walter’s Management in 2002 and remains so at the present time.
(Modern photographs of Green Street homes taken in 2022 by the Gainesville Convention and Visitors Bureau Intern Emma King. Historic photographs and information gathered from our friends at The Gainesville Times, The Norton Agency, the Historical Society of Hall County, the National Register of Historic Places, and the Digital Library of Georgia.)