Turner Estes House
G.F. Turner, a dry goods merchant from Fulton County, purchased the property that would become the Turner Estes House from Mrs. Carrie B. Smith in 1904 for $2700. This 3,432 square feet home was completed just two years later, in 1906.
George P. Estes purchased the home from the Turner family in 1913. The Estes family owned and operated the George P. Estes dry goods store in Gainesville for over 50 years. The Turner Estes House was the home of Miss Helen Estes, who was a prominent member of United Daughters of the Confederacy, Daughters of the American Revolution, Magna Carta Dames, and the Daughters of 1812. She lived in the home until her passing in 1985.
Standard upkeep and maintenance have been done on the home, but no major renovations have been made to the Turner Estes House. It remains in its Neo-classical Revival style and still contains the gorgeous, original stained-glass window by the main staircase and the Greek key tile flooring in the entry way.
The house is currently home to several law offices: Inez Grant, Gillsville Law LLC, David Dickerson, Burrows and Associates, and Stroberg Law.
(Modern photographs of Green Street homes taken in 2022 by the Gainesville Convention and Visitors Bureau Intern Emma King. Historic photographs and information gathered from our friends at The Gainesville Times, The Norton Agency, the Historical Society of Hall County, the National Register of Historic Places, and the Digital Library of Georgia.)