393 Green Street

Matthews Norton House

A fine example of English Tudor Revival, this home was built by J.D. Matthews in 1933. In 1967, the W.L. Norton Agency pioneered the conversion and preservation of Green Street residences by remodeling the exterior and interior of this home into the offices for the Real Estate and Insurance branches of their insurance agency. The building has been home to many local businesses over the years, including a bridal store and a web design business. It is currently home to the corporate offices of The Fudgery, a local fudge and sweets company.

(Modern photographs of Green Street homes taken in 2022 by City of Gainesville Convention and Visitors Bureau Intern Emma King. Historic photographs and information gathered from our friends at The Norton Agency, the Historical Society of Hall County, and the Digital Library of Georgia.)